Skip to product information
1 of 1

Brown-Saltman

64″-96″ Vintage Dining Table Designed by Keppel and Green for Brown-Saltman

64″-96″ Vintage Dining Table Designed by Keppel and Green for Brown-Saltman

Regular price $0.00 USD
Regular price Sale price $0.00 USD
Sale Sold out

64″-96″ Vintage Dining Table Designed by Keppel and Green for Brown-Saltman

Vintage Van Keppel & Green For Brown Saltman Extension Dining Table A 1950’s dining table designed by Hendrik Van Keppel and Taylor Green and made by Brown Saltman The base made of tanquile mahogany The top of mahogany with Hawaiian Koa end accents The table expands from 64” to 96” with the addition of two leaves The grain on the mahogany leaves runs perpendicular to the grain on the top of the table for contrast.

Dimensions

64-96″ Length x 40″ Width x 28.5″ Height

Condition

Very Good Condition

Preparation, Timing and Shipment

See shipping details on HOME page

Brown-Saltman

Hendrik Van Keppel & Taylor Green Hendrik Van Keppel and Taylor Green were both born in 1914 in California. In their lifetime they would create one of the most influential industrial design firms by the name of Van Keppel-Green. The origins of their work began with Hendrik when he was living in San Francisco in the 1930s. He designed a chair made of scrap iron he had fabricated by a blacksmith and that he wrapped with marine cord he purchased in the Embarcadero. This work was his first documented effort to bridge nature with architecture by creating a prototype of his indoor/outdoor furniture, and in the history of industrial design was a pivotal and revolutionary accomplishment. After Hendrik moved to Los Angeles in 1937, and met Taylor, they originally worked together on Flower Street in downtown Los Angeles, but moved in 1939 to Beverly Hills. In the early days they were a couple, but at some point they became business partners yet maintained an extremely close personal friendship/business partnership based on testimony from friends, and lived together with respective boyfriends in the same houses until the business closed in the early 1970s. In their shops they sold their own designs as well as accessories from other designers, notably Architectural Pottery, as they were personal friends with Max and Rita Lawrence.

View full details